The Large Colette Bowler Bag Digital Pattern
Are you a visual learner or ready to challenge your skills? Check out sew-along videos by SiahSwag and Seams Legit.
This is the enlarged version of the original Colette Bowler Bag Digital Pattern. For lovers of big handbags, or for a stylish overnighter, The Large Colette has you covered. This is a perfect "personal" bag for flying, as the size fits the criteria of most airlines.
This is a stable, structured bag that could be made from a variety of fabrics. A spacious bag with a wide top opening that allows for showing off the lining. The curved exterior slip pocket and bottom corner overlays add softness to the boxy design. Careful piecing of the side gussets and overlays adds a very high-end look. Customizable features include:
- The contrast of the handles and overlay really pops on the front and back and can be done in vinyl or fabric.
- The bag is equally stunning in all one fabric, especially vinyl, highlighting both the fabric and the bag maker’s skills as the top-stitching is a focal point.
- With two options for straps – flat or faux rolled – and minimal hardware.
I believe you’ll find this pattern to be a design you make over and over, highlighting your personal style.
Finished Standing Size is 15 1/2" W x 11” H x 6 1/2” D with Handle Drop 11"
Skill Level: Intermediate
KEEP IN MIND:
- This bag was designed to be made with cotton, canvas, or similar weight fabric as the main exterior fabric and the contrast fabric as vinyl, cork, or leather. However, there are notes on the Fabric and Interfacing Cut List for making the bag from all fabric.
- Two overlay options have been provided. One is for fabric and the other for vinyl, cork, or leather. Both options will be cut as mirrored pieces for each corner of the bag. Follow the notes on the pattern piece.
- The bag is designed to be structured and to hold its shape well even when empty, so foam is the preferred stabilizer. However, fusible fleece can be used in place of foam, but the bag will be less structured.
- The strap measurement of 29” will give the bag an 11” handle drop, which creates a true handbag that can be carried in the crook of your arm. For longer straps, fabric requirements will need to be adjusted for length and to avoid piecing the straps
Fabric amounts provided are for non-directional print and would need to be adjusted if using a directional print or if you are fussy-cutting.
- Main fabric – ¾ -1 yard x at least 45” wide (amount depends on if you’re using accent fabric for the side gussets and bottom pieces)
- Accent fabric – ½ - 5/8 yard x at least 29’’ wide (will need to be wider than 29” if you want the straps longer and without piecing)
- ¾ yard x 45’’ wide quilting cotton or similar weight fabric
- 4½ yards x 20’’ wide Pellon SF101 lightweight fusible woven interfacing
- 1-1/4 yard x 20” wide Pellon FF78 Fusible Foam
- (1) 15 1/8" x 2¾’’ piece of Pellon Peltex 71F one-side fusible firm stabilizer or can substitute with foam
- (1) 27” #5 zipper (plus 1 or 2 pulls if using zipper-by-the-yard) – (prepared zipper: trim to 27”, double or single closure)
- (1) 10½” #5 zipper (plus 1 pull if using zipper-by-the-yard) – (prepared zipper: trim to 10½”)
- (8) 8mm rivets
- (4) 1” D-rings or Square rings
- (6) purse feet (optional)
- Edge Kote for any raw edges of vinyl, leather, or cork (optional)
- 3/8” double-sided tape DST (optional, but strongly suggested)
- Fabri-Tac Glue (optional, but strongly suggested)
- Small stapler with staples (optional – very helpful)
Forty-eight (48) page PDF pattern in full-color. Ready to print on 8.5 x 11 paper or A4. Color-coded Cut List and coordinating Pattern Piece Labels help improve efficiency.
You may sell items from this pattern on a home production basis only. See the pattern for more information.
This is a digital download and therefore cannot be refunded once purchased. Please provide a valid email address in order to receive the download link.