The Joey Pouch Digital Pattern
This is a downloadable PDF pattern - best downloaded and saved to a computer, flash drive, or in a cloud service.
The Beginner Basics Collection is for those sewists new to bagmaking. Ultra-detailed patterns start at Level 1 for those with no prior bagmaking experience. Each level continues the same detailed format but adds new skills. Using easy-to-source cotton fabric and with little to no hardware, the emphasis is on bringing your sewing creativity and talent to the finished product.
The Joey Pouch waist bag/sling bag is a Level 3 pattern and teaches these new skills:
- Cutting rectangle pieces and using a corner template for efficiency
- Attaching a gusset to a curved body
- Making a curved diagonal flap
- Installing a zipper
- Making card slots
- Installing a grommet
- Binding or finishing raw seams (3 methods described)
Chasing a toddler in the park was the inspiration for The Joey Pouch. Dragging a huge diaper bag or a purse wasn’t practical. I didn’t need a lot: a phone for emergency, keys, sunglasses, a small snack, and a couple of hand wipes. A diaper change was for the car.
The Joey Pouch fits the bill. Simple features for great function and skill-building include:
- A streamlined assembly process teaches new skills, eliminates bulky seams, and ensures a great-looking finished bag.
- A large exterior phone pocket with a strong magnet.
- A unique diagonal flap that looks great at the waist or across the chest.
- A strong zipper gusset to hold up to lots of use.
- An adjustable strap that won’t stretch.
- Four interior card slots or optional slip pocket
- Optional grommet and elastic to hold a roll of doggy bags.
- A roomy interior for lots of stuff
- The two main body seams can be finished in 3 way
For Beginner Bagmakers, comfortable with their sewing machine, tools, and terminology.
Bag finishes at 8" W x 5" H x 2" D
MATERIALS AND NOTIONS:
- 1/2 yard exterior fabric
- 1/2 yard lining fabric
- 1 yard x 20" SF101
- (1) 1 1/2” side release buckle
- (1) 1 1/2” slide adjuster (aka tri-glide)
- 48+” of 1 1/2” webbing (depends on size of person wearing)
- 56” of 1/2” double-fold binding or 1” fold-over elastic (strongly recommend) (FOE) (omit if making your own binding) See Beginner Bits for comparison.
- 14” of #5 zipper tape and one pull – zipper should measure 1 1/4” wide if using packaged – instructions include notes if using a narrower zipper
- (1) thin 14mm magnetic snap
For doggy bag or earphone cord:
- (1) grommet with 1/2” opening (An extra one to practice on scrap is suggested)
- 3 1/4” of 3/8” or 1/2” THIN elastic – less bulk in seams (to hold doggy bags)
Forty-one (41) page PDF pattern in full color. Ready to print on 8.5 x 11 paper or A4. Color-coded Fabric and Interfacing Cut Chart and coordinating Pattern Piece Labels for efficiency.
You may sell items from this pattern on a home production basis only. See the pattern for more information.
This is a digital download and therefore cannot be refunded once purchased. Please provide a valid email address in order to receive the download link.