The Sunset Beach Tote Digital Pattern
This is a downloadable PDF pattern - best downloaded and saved to a computer, flash drive, or in a cloud service.
A Beginner Basics pattern, with detailed instructions for the beginning bag maker. This Level 2 pattern is intended for the bag maker to learn the skill of using a rotary cutter, cutting mat, and ruler. There are NO pattern pieces to print. All of the pieces for the tote are rectangles, easily cut with these tools.
Skills you will learn:
- Using a rotary cutter, mat, and ruler - no pattern pieces required
- Working with outdoor canvas
- Applying two heavy stabilizers for a semi-structured bag
- Making a strap
- Boxing corners
- Adding a drop-in lining
- Adding a swivel clasp and D-ring
About this pattern:
Designed as a beach bag, there are so many practical uses for a large tote. Making a tote this size can seem overwhelming, but it’s truly beginner-friendly and easily made on a domestic machine.
Pattern and design features:
- Super-detailed instructions and "Beginner Bits" with reminders and tips throughout.
- A detailed list of tools to use for best results
- Rectangular measurements include seam allowances
- Cutting layout to optimize your fabric and for efficiency when cutting
- Large exterior areas for embellishment such as embroidery, fussy-cutting, or whatever you choose
- Only two quick-to-cut stabilizers
- Six exterior pockets with the option to "billow" four of them
- Two customizable interior pockets
- The optional Key Holder functions as a closure with the addition of a D-ring
- An easy drop-in lining
- Optimized to be strong and sturdy - check out this blog post for an in-depth look at these design features and the "why" behind them
Standing Size: 23" W x 15" H x 7" D
Fabric amounts provided are for non-directional print and would need to be adjusted if using a directional print or if you are fussy cutting.
55” wide fabric for all measurements:
- Fabric 1: Body and Facings ½ yard
- Fabric 2: Exterior Pockets ½ yard
- Fabric 3: Bottom and Straps 5/8 yard for 11” drop
At Least 45” wide – 1 yard
- Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece for exterior body and bottom – 46” wide x 19”
- Pellon 71F Fusible Peltex for bottoms and facings – 20” wide x 23”
- (1) ½” D-ring (optional)
- (1) ½” swivel clasp for the key holder (optional)
- Double-sided tape (DST) – 1/8” is very helpful to hold heavier fabric folds
Twenty-four (24) page PDF pattern in full-color. Ready to print on 8.5 x 11 paper or A4. Color-coded Fabric and Interfacing Cut List and coordinating Pattern Piece Labels.
You may sell items from this pattern on a home production basis only. See the pattern for more information.
This is a digital download and therefore cannot be refunded once purchased. Please provide a valid email address in order to receive the download link.