The Adina Laptop Bag Digital Pattern
Visual learner? Watch the sew-along tutorial video by Siah Swag
The Adina Laptop Bag is a perfect marriage of function and form. The classic look is made modern with a pleated front pocket and flap edge trim. The straps with buckles are reminiscent of satchels from previous decades. Hidden magnetic snaps keep the flap and pleated pocket secure, or add some more bling and security with a turn or flip-lock. The optional grab handle (strongly reinforced) makes it easy to keep the bag close. To lighten the load and free your hand, use the adjustable strap.
The interior keeps a 15" laptop secure with a padded elasticized strap against the back of the bag. The front interior has a roomy zipper pocket and a large divided slip pocket. The side gussets with magnetic snaps expand as needed. Peltex and fusible foam give the bag structure and stability. Keep in mind that this is a dressy carrying bag. While the foam backing and padded strap will keep a laptop in place and offer some protection, this bag is not intended for extreme or rough use.
There are many layers in this bag and it was designed for an industrial sewing machine. However, if using a lighter than recommended fabric and/or eliminating the grab handle and additional reinforcement, a domestic can be used. One of our testers successfully made it on a domestic using a decor fabric and was able to include all the layers of the grab handle.
This large design has a lot of pattern pieces. (To help save on printing, all rectangular pieces are by measurement only). The Fabric and Interfacing Cut List and coordinating Pattern Piece Labels keep everything organized and your workflow efficient. Step-by-step instructions and full-color photos guide you through construction.
Finished standing size: 16” W x 12½” H x 3½” D
Skill Level: Intermediate or confident beginner looking for a challenge
Fabric amounts provided are for non-directional print and would need to be adjusted if using a directional print or if you are fussy-cutting.
- 1 1/4 yard x at least 56” wide vinyl, cork, or leather
- 1 1/2 yard x at least 45’’ wide quilting cotton or similar weight fabric
- 2 1/2 yards x 20’’ wide Pellon SF101 lightweight fusible woven interfacing
- 1 1/4 yard Pellon FF78 one-side fusible foam
- 1 1/2 yard of Pellon Peltex 71F one-side fusible firm stabilizer
- (1) 1” – 1½” turn-lock (optional but strongly suggested if using the bag for a laptop or heavy items)
- (4) 14mm magnetic snaps (two are to make the side gussets expandable and are optional)
- (2) 18mm magnetic snaps (omit these two if you are using a turn-lock)
- (1) 6” curved metal edge trim (optional) (I used: Emmaline Metal Trim Style D)
- (2) 1” buckles
- (6) purse feet
- (1) 11” #3 or #5 zipper (plus one pull if using zipper-by-the-yard)
- (12 – 14) medium (8mm or 9mm) rivets
- (2) 1” D-rings
- (2) 1” metal strap ends
- (2) 1 ½” swivel clasps
- (1) 1 ½” slide adjuster
- 5” of 1 ¼” wide soft elastic (like the type used for men’s underwear)
- ¼” or 3/8” double-sided tape DST (optional, but strongly suggested)
- Fabri-Tac Glue or glue stick (optional, but strongly suggested)
- Small stapler with staples (optional – very helpful – instructions are included on where to use)
Sixty-one (61) page PDF pattern in full-color. Ready to print on 8.5 x 11 paper or A4. Color-coded Fabric and Interfacing Cut List and coordinating Pattern Piece Labels for each size help improve efficiency.
You may sell items from this pattern on a home production basis only. See the pattern for more information.
This is a digital download and therefore cannot be refunded once purchased. Please provide a valid email address in order to receive the download link.