The Colette Bowler Bag Digital Pattern
Meet The Colette. She's a very classy lady - shapely, but sophisticated. Her gently curved overlays and faux rolled straps softened the boxy design. With a 20 inch zippered top, she opens to a spacious interior, with a divided, trimmed slip pocket on one side and a trimmed zipper pocket on the other. The accented side gussets and the overlays match meticulously for a very high-end look. Or choose one fabric for the overall design and use the flat strap option. With minimal hardware, this pattern really highlights the bag design and the bag maker's skills. You'll be making this pattern over and over.
Skill Level: Intermediate
Siah Swag has a video sew-a-long tutorial.
KEEP IN MIND:
- This bag was designed to be made with cotton, canvas, or similar weight fabric as the main exterior fabric and the contrast fabric as vinyl, cork, or leather. However, there are notes on the Fabric and Interfacing Cut List for making the bag from all fabric.
- Two overlay options have been provided. One is for fabric and the other for vinyl, cork, or leather. Both options will be cut as mirrored pieces for each corner of the bag. Follow the notes on the pattern piece.
- The bag is designed to be structured and to hold its shape well even when empty, so foam is the preferred stabilizer. However, fusible fleece can be used in place of foam, but the bag will be less structured.
- The strap measurement of 26” will give the bag a 9” handle drop, which creates a true handbag that can be carried in the crook of your arm. For longer straps, fabric requirements will need to be adjusted for length and to avoid piecing the straps
Fabric amounts provided are for non-directional print and would need to be adjusted if using a directional print or if you are fussy-cutting.
- Main fabric – ¾ -1 yard x at least 45” wide (amount depends on if you’re using accent fabric for the side gussets and bottom pieces)
- Accent fabric – ½ - 5/8 yard x at least 26’’ wide (will need to be wider than 26” if you want the straps longer and without piecing)
- ¾ yard x 45’’ wide quilting cotton or similar weight fabric
- 3½ yards x 20’’ wide Pellon SF101 lightweight fusible woven interfacing
- ¾ yard x 20” wide Pellon FF78 Fusible Foam
- (1) 12’’ x 2¾’’ piece of Pellon Peltex 71F one-side fusible firm stabilizer or can substitute with foam
- (1) 22” #5 zipper (plus 1 or 2 pulls if using zipper-by-the-yard) – (prepared zipper: trim to 22”, double or single closure)
- (1) 8½” #5 zipper (plus 1 pull if using zipper-by-the-yard) – (prepared zipper: trim to 8½”)
- (8) 8mm rivets
- (4) 1” D-rings or Square rings
- (5) purse feet (optional)
- Edge Kote for any raw edges of vinyl, leather, or cork (optional)
- 3/8” double-sided tape DST (optional, but strongly suggested)
- Fabri-Tac Glue (optional, but strongly suggested)
- Small stapler with staples (optional – very helpful)
Finished Standing Size is 12” W x 10” H x 5” D with Handle Drop 9"
Forty (40) page PDF pattern in full-color. Ready to print on 8.5 x 11 paper, or A4. Color coded Cut List and Pattern Piece Labels help improve efficiency.
You may sell items from this pattern on a home production basis only. See the pattern for more information.
This is a digital download and therefore cannot be refunded once purchased. Please provide a valid email address in order to receive the download link.