The Duffy Bag Digital Pattern
SiahSwag's YouTube Channel has a complete sewing tutorial.
The Duffy Bag is the "little brother/sister" to The Laila Weekender. Designed as an overnight bag for children, its features are also applicable to adults who want a smaller duffle for the gym, dance class, or traveling. Need a bigger diaper bag? The Duffy Bag is your answer.
Made from a sturdy cotton exterior with heavier fabric accents and straps, and a cotton lining, The Duffy Bag can be dressed up or down and its features customized to your needs.
Exterior features include:
- two end slip pockets
- a slip pocket behind a zipper pocket (a unique 2 pockets-in-one feature!)
- a slip pocket with flap closure
- two shoulder straps with an 11" handle drop
- an adjustable strap and purse feet (optional)
Interior features include:
- two elastic-top side pockets
- a zipper pocket
- an optional elasticized band that works great for a stuffed animal “seat belt"
- a divided slip pocket to hold coloring books, a tablet, storybooks, etc.
Finished Standing Size is 16" W x 9 1/2" H x 8 1/2" D
KEEP IN MIND:
- This pattern includes several rectangular pattern pieces that will be self-drafted.
- This bag is large and has a lot of pieces to cut, but don’t let this intimidate you as this pattern is definitely advanced beginner-friendly. Adding the curved side panels is the most challenging part in that it’s time-consuming to get it pinned correctly. Accuracy in assembling the body prior to this step is very important so pay close attention to your seam allowances. There are tips included in the instructions for the end panels.
- For The Duffy Bag main exterior fabric, a cotton or canvas is recommended, interfaced with fusible fleece for the body. The pattern is written using faux leather/vinyl, leather, or cork for the accent fabric. The fleece can be omitted from the exterior body pieces if you choose to use a heavier weight fabric like waxed canvas.
- If using waterproof canvas for the lining, eliminate the woven interfacing on those pieces.
Fabric amounts provided are for non-directional print and would need to be adjusted if using a directional print or if you are fussy-cutting.
- Main fabric – 1-yard x at least 45” wide
- Accent fabric – 1-yard x at least 45’’ wide
- 1¾ yards x 45’’ wide quilting cotton, waterproof canvas, or similar weight fabric
- 5 yards x 20’’ wide Pellon SF101 lightweight fusible woven interfacing
- ½ yard x 45” wide Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece
- (1) 15¾” x 6¾” piece of Pellon Peltex 71F one-side fusible stabilizer
- (2) 1½’’ x 3’’ pieces of Pellon Peltex 71F one-side fusible firm stabilizer (optional – for side connectors)
- (1) 6” #3 zipper (plus 1 pull if using zipper-by-the-yard) for exterior pocket
- (1) 10” #3 zipper (plus 1 pull if using zipper-by-the-yard) for lining pocket
- (1) 18” #5 zipper (plus 2 pulls if using zipper-by-the-yard) for top exterior
- (4) 1¼” square rings or D-rings
- (12 – 20) 8mm rivets (optional)
- (2) 7” pieces of 3/8’’ elastic
- (1) 24” piece of ¾” elastic (optional) for the interior belt for toys, bottles, etc.
For Optional Adjustable Strap and Purse Feet:
- (2) ¾” D-rings
- (2) 1¼” swivel clasps
- (1) 1¼” slide adjuster
- (6) purse feet
Tools and Supplies:
- small hand-held stapler (optional, but helpful)
- 3/8” double-sided tape DST (optional, but strongly suggested)
- Fabri-Tac Glue (optional, but strongly suggested)
- Rivet Press or Rivet Tool - for setting rivets if using
Thirty-four (34) page PDF pattern in full-color. Ready to print on 8.5 x 11 paper or A4.
You may sell items from this pattern on a home production basis only. See the pattern for more information.
This is a digital download and therefore cannot be refunded once purchased. Please provide a valid email address in order to receive the download link.